Thursday, September 14, 2006

I'm in the Phone Booth, It's the One Across the Hall

As I type this I am , in the words of Debbie Harry, 'hangin' on the telephone'. I agreed earlier on today to do an interview on American radio about Tony Blair's long goodbye. See HERE. However, having agreed to do it at midnight they've just told me I must listen to the programme until twenty to one when I get my slot! Thanks guys - didn't want to go to sleep anyway! Actually, the programme is quite interesting so far. At the moment they are talking to Robert Guest, the Washington Editor of The Economist. Next, they have one of my favourite bloggers, Rachel from North London. I can't imagine the BBC devoting an hour's radio time to this or any other subject. After all, they think we can't concentrate for more than four minutes at a time. Think how often you hear a BBC interviewer say the words 'that's all we've got time for'.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Well done Iain, very lucid, much better than me, I always struggle to be pithy and cogent after 9pm and several glasses of Chardonnay didn't help matters. I did warn them a pre-record might be safer...

And thanks v. much for the link, I have described you as 'urbane'. I am imagining you in a silk dressing gown conducting the interview from a chaise longue.

And on that note, I shall retire myself.Goodnight.

Iain Dale said...

Rachel, silk dressing gown? Er no. Actually I conducted the whole interview naked, wandering round my bedroom. Now don't get too excited...

Rachel said...

Crikey!

The Military Wing Of The BBC said...

I assume your going to be on PBS Radio.

As I travelled around the USA by car last year this was the only thing in the USA that I could point to and say "I can see how this country got to the moon" - NO dumbing down, I keep meaning to find it on the net.
Although it has the reputation for being left wing in the USA it made a change from metropolitan views being presented as irrefutable facts that now is the BBC and "yes luvvies you can ALL come to the wedding!" Sky.

Anonymous said...

Wow Adam Rickett reads your blog and advertising is a way to reach this "opinion former" I reckon your going to have male cosmetic firms banging down your door! Jackpot...

hump
http://www.ghostofhumphrey.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Iain, that blog is utter tosh.

((During his time in office, Blair successfully captured the country’s political center,))

It should have said captured the far right traditionally held by fascists.

((led Britain away from his party’s traditional Welfare State policies))

Are they kidding? Tax credits for all? Disability allowances? Need I go on? The welfare budget is bigger now than ever.

((towards those inspired by market forces))

As long as those market forces have given him a bung, and now he is cap in hand to the unions.

((and navigated international relationships across the Channel as well as those across the Atlantic.))

There was no navigation necessary across the Atlantic, and are they suggesting Bliar and Chirac are the best of friends?

((So now that Blair is approaching lame duck status))

When has Bliar, realistically, been anyhting BUT a lame duck? Longest serving because the Tories were ineffective.

Anonymous said...

Liked Rachel's blog.

Anyone think the next Tory Government will allow peaceful protests outside parliment?

Can't see it myself.