Monday, September 11, 2006

That'll Learn Me...

Tomorrow morning I'm attending what I am told is an ultimate "Power Breakfast". It's being organised by Julia Hobsbawm's Editorial Intelligence and is a discussion on "Political Commentary After Blair". Rather timely, I guess. I was invited to attend but rather took exception to the speaker lineup - Peter Kellner, Chris Huhne MP, Helena Kennedy and Steve Richards. Nothing wrong with them individually, but they do all share a similar 'world view'. So, idiot that I am, I emailed Julia making that point... only to be asked to speak myself. That'll teach me. Sky News are co-sponsoring the event with Adam Boulton in the chair.

Interestingly Editorial Intelligence has just expanded its monitoring of the commentariat to include blogs. Another sign of the growing influence of the blogosphere?

The event is being podcast on Politics on Demand. More at www.editorialintelligence.com.

10 comments:

Praguetory said...

Why are the likes of the speakers you have mentioned worthy of airtime (including AB)? I'd see them as "Political Commentary During Blair" rather than after.

Anonymous said...

What utter crap, just cut taxes.

Anonymous said...

So what's going to replace the Cold-War Left-Right political divide then.

Unless you can answer that question you'll just be tinkering with out-of-date paradigms.

MorrisOx said...

Iain, by all means deliver a speech at at EI lunch, but cut and run as quickly as you bloody can.

It is a self-serving enterprise that any self-respecting person of an independent mind would do well to steer clear of.

'Where PR meets journalism'. You have been warned...

Curly said...

Oh dear, you will probably miss Boor Brown moving into No. 10 if you attend this breakfast meeting!

Curly's Corner Shop

Anonymous said...

Absolutely se said

Anonymous said...

Blair is going down like a concrete baloon the silence duringhis speech is terrible do you think he will start to get the message.

Anonymous said...

Iain, why would you voluntarily go to a slightly creepy club (that you have to pay a fee to be a part of) for PRs to gain access to journalists?

Can't these people just go to the pub and have a drink together like the rest of us plebs?

Iain Dale said...

Anonymous, I went because I was invited to speak for a fee. I do have a living to earn, you know! Something has to pay for the time I spend on this blog!

Anonymous said...

I don't see a problem...as long as you don;t wear the shirt you did the other night on News24...lol...ô¿ô