Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Widdeo Killed the Radio Star

Last night's Hansard Society fringe meeting was titled Can Politicians Ignore the New Media? Er, no came the unsurprising response of yours truly, the man from BT and Miss Ann Widdecombe, spinster of this parish.

Ann no doubt generated huge publicity for the inimitable Widdy Web (do look at the front page) when she announced the imminent appearance of the Widdeo-Video. An expectant Nation can hardly contain itself...

There were about 130-150 people packed into a room that was far too small but it was a good discussion with lots of interest in blogging. Ann maintained that she hadn't got the time but said if she were a new candidate starting out today she would probably be a blogger herself.

I had a very enjoyable dinner with Miss W afterwards. She was telling me about the Dragon's Den part of the proceedings, where 6 'A' List candidates put forward policy proposals to a panel consisting of Ann, Oliver Letwin, Rachel Elnar and Michael Brown. After the first five people were women Ann said to the conference hall, "are there any men left in this party?" and received a huge round of applause. She asked why I hadn't put in to take part in the session. I said when I got the email send to all 'A' Listers I considered it for a nano-second before deciding not to do it. All risk and no reward, if you see what I mean!

You can see the Guardian's Videocast of the event HERE.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEADLINE - "Widdecombe killed the video star?"

(apologies to the Buggles.

On second thoughts, no apologies needed....)

Anonymous said...

Ian I hate to dampen your enthusiasm but as a neutral I have to say that your party conference is going down like a lead balloon in the rest of the UK. DC is coming across as weak and without direction and purpose and believe me I want him or someone esle to do well but it looks very feeble from the outside.Honestly I am not having a go I am telling it like it is in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

which is the old goat?

Anonymous said...

Just taken the diversion and read AW's address to Archbishop Warlock's, memorial ... trite possibly but powerful nevertheless... especially after my own last night's diversion via North Sutton (in leafy Surrey)and the 280 bus route.

Scipio said...

Oh God, that is all we need - more Anne Widdecombe! I remember being told by a rural freind of mine that she was the most hated women on the farm because "she wants to ban everything we stand for - sex, drugs and fox hunting"!

Anonymous said...

Science is amazing;we can get a man on the moon,but we can't get one on Anne Widdecombe!

Anonymous said...

Iain, it was an enjoyable event, thanks for speaking and looking forward to sharing links shortly when my shiny new website is up and running :-)

Anonymous said...

Can Politicians Ignore the New Mania? Er, no came the unsurprising response of yours truly.